This was a tweet the other day, but just an FYI, it's about to be the year "twenty ten," not "twenty oh ten." I kind of did a mental double take when a talkative person at the gym said something about their fitness goals in "twenty oh ten." Srsly? You're going to run a half marathon in the year 20,010? I'm not sure there will be humans, let alone organized foot races.
Since it's almost the new year, I've decided to create an actual list of things I want to accomplish in the next 12 months:
- Create a list of things to accomplish in 2010
- It's still 2009 so I'm way ahead of the game already. I love winning before we've even started. That probably stems from my trying to hide little Monopoly hotels between my mattresses as a kid in the off chance we'd have a family game night. I tried to sneak them onto my properties. 8-year-olds aren't slick enough to pull that off or at least I wasn't as an 8 year old.
- Accumulate at least 4 new friends
- What? I'm funny! People tolerate me!
- Accumulate 12 race tee shirts
- I've already registered for two races, so I'm 2/12th of the way there, or 1/6th, if you prefer to do short division
- Finish 12 races thereby earning the right to wear those 12 shirts
- First race is this Saturday, January 2, twenty ten
- Run at least 2 marathons and 1 half marathon
- The first marathon will be in April in Nashville. Please show up and cheer/berate/give me a slurpee
- The first half marathon will be in Germantown in March. BOOM!
- Learn a song on the guitar.
- I'm working on Iron Man
- And the opening to Sweet Child of Mine
- And Chopsticks
- Not really
- Do one 1/2 Ironman Triathlon
- I'm accepting recommendations as long as each one is printed legibly on a $20 (oh ten) dollar bill
- In case you don't know it's a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, then a 13.1 mile run. Piece o' proverbial cake. I prefer cheesecake if you're baking.
- Write a haiku every day
- I usually try to write one every day but this past year I've been woefully slacking. If you want me to share these with you, please print your request on a crisp $20 bill.
- Teach Charlie to sit
- HAHAHAHA! Just kidding - that pooch is spazzy mcghee
- Finish a short story that's been in the back of my mind for months
- I suppose in order to finish it I'll first have to start it. See? That's the problem with lists, you create them and get all overly enthusiastic and have grandiose expectations for them all.
- Get measurably better at what I do for a living
- (did I really just put a work-related one in here? Sho nuff)
- Sell my house
And the number one unreachable goal:
- Win the PowerBall
- I guess it's time to start buying tickets if I want to make this one come true, huh?
Bye bye twenty oh nine, it's been real but if we run into each other in public in the next six months and it's obvious that I don't remember your name, don't be mad. I'm just not that good with names.